Saturday, February 16, 2013

My New Up-cycled Lamp!

Ok, so I don't know the definition of "up-cycling," but I found a way to make my old, out dated lamp look really cute again! I stumbled upon the idea while browsing around the internet one day and and inspiration hit me! It took me a really long time to complete it, but the finished product is just too cute not to share! And it's really, really easy to do and costs less than $10! It could cost you $0 if you already have the materials laying around the house (score ^.^)

Materials:
rope (any shape or size)
party streamers (any color you desire)
hot glue
something to keep you entertained while you work (music, movie...)


The hardest part here is making the flowers. That's why it took me forever! My hand would cramp up at times, but you have to have to have to have to have to HAVE PATIENCE!!!

Start off with a about 12 inches of your streamers (doesn't have to be exact)

Fold down lengthwise a third of the way

Start by rolling about one inch and then STOP!

Fold like shown. Not sure how to describe this step...basically you are folding at a diagonal

Continue rolling until the end of the diagonal fold then STOP!

Make another fold just like the first so you end up with another diagonal

Roll again until the end of the diagonal fold, then stop!

Fold again and roll again...

Continue folding and rolling until it looks like this!

Takes about 2 minutes but it's worth it! 
Next, just use hot glue to place it onto the lamp shade. Careful not to burn your fingers!

For the base, just take your rope and while you wrap, glue! (sorry I don't have pics of this step, but don't be afraid to let the creative juices flow)

The finished product was well worth all the time and burns!

2 comments:

Mikee said...

you're so beautiful!

Neesha said...

Absolutely adorable! I love crafting. The end result is worth all the exhaustion and minor injuries it takes to get there. Good work! I have to try those flowers. I've been trying to learn how to make paper flowers forever!